Bottom Line Up Front:
STOP FOCUSING ON PRODUCTS, AND START FOCUSING ON PROTECTION OF INFORMATION AND ASSETS.
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROTECT? WHAT IS CRITICAL TO THE SURVIVAL OF YOUR BUSINESS & YOUR REPUTATION?
- This is a CEO issue. IT CANNOT BE DELEGATED TO THE IT DEPARTMENT!
- The key is PROTECTING INFORMATION, not protecting systems.
- The DoD admitted that they can’t keep perpetrators out, they can only manage what is accessed. Find out what information is really important – keep asking ‘Why is that?’…
- The average data breach costs $188 per record. Most breaches involve tens of thousands of records. ($20M+). You are legally required to report a breach.
- Protect, Detect, Respond. Most don’t have ‘Detect’, which severely limits ‘Respond’. Due diligence and due care apply in determining legal liability.